Thursday, August 9, 2007

not in kansas

So, folks playing along at home may know that I just finished my cross-country odyssey and landed in Brooklyn Wednesday night...about the same time as this TORNADO. Yup, a tornado in Brooklyn. WTF?

The subway was FLOODED and trains weren't running into Manhattan, so I let D borrow the car to drive his lady friend to work in the city. (isn't this exciting? D and the Volvo! Recurring characters!) On the way they picked up a desperate hitchhiker on the Manhattan Bridge who happened to work for the Colbert Report and who gave us 4 VIP tickets to the show out of gratitude.

So there you go. Happy first day in New York! We went to the taping and it was for some reason twice as funny in person. I sat in the front row (if you watch it you can glimpse my red shirt when they pan across the audience in between the 1st 2 segments.)

I wish this were funnier. I also wish I hadn't already told the story to 3 of the 4 1/2 people who ever read this blog. But, I'm a New Yorker now, so I guess I just can't be bothered by what you think. I will from now on start every sentence with I.

8 comments:

Werd said...

How does that make me feel? I was one of those one and a half people who you didn't tell!

Werd said...

Or maybe I was the half....

will said...

I'll always think of you as more than half a man Drew. Come into the welcoming arms of Fuckyouistan, where the sombero-festooned are never diminished so insensitively.

Crystal said...

Drew, did you ever consider that you might be ONE AND A HALF men in my book? And Will, stop recruiting. Go build your own 4 1/2 person fan base!

Werd said...

Well, I am getting considerably fatter, so I accept your postulate.

Although I _am_ going to hang out in Fuckyouistan for a hot minute.

will said...

whoa whoa whoa.

whoa.

slow up. i think i can safely say i've got my own 4.5+ fan base going right now. fuckyouistan draws weary travelers from all over the blogosphere, or at least from the denver office. kinda.

drew, to reiterate, your visa is in good standing and are welcome to visit the glorious semi-autonomous region of fuckyouistan at any time you please. crystal's diplomatic status may soon be under review though. i mean, if you're angling for a slot in the 'infidels' column just say the word.

Werd said...

One other thing about your comment on my blog that I forgot to point out - two of the principles of being an underachiever: "Expectations lead to misery" and "great expectations lead to great misery."

Damn I'm good.

Dan Stafford said...

Ok lady. It's time we had a talk. Living in Brooklyn for a week does not a New Yorker make. Admittedly, you've already shot up to A-list Bkln, but there are some things you need to do to be officially recognized.

a) roll a bum for his shoes
b) light bum on fire
c) stand next to a celebrity on line at a bakery
d) bitch about how cool your neighborhood used to be, even if you've only been there for a week
e) shoot heroin with Lou Reed
f) Peepshow

Get back to us when you've completed these, and we'll move on to g-m.