Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities for the first time, and as much as I hate the super-trite overly used "best of times, worst of times" line, it might sum up this week pretty well. (also that Dickens guy, turns out, can write!)

Bad was getting into a big sad fight with my best friend. Bad/embarrassing was throwing up after spending all of Saturday afternoon perfecting my bloody mary mix. Bad turned Fun/Embarrassing was locking myself and all of my guests outside while brunch was cooking away on the stove inside. Luckily the stoop was sunny, by some miracle the bloody mary mix was locked outside with us (though I declined to partake), and the ranchero sauce was happily simmering away when we finally broke back in an hour later.

Pure excitement is getting ready for my Ghana trip (though randomly losing my passport also falls into the BAD category, mostly). I'm planning to stay in the NYU dorms for a week, rent an apartment in Accra for a month, then spend the rest of my time travelling (hopefully). I'm thinking of trying to travel north to Burkina Faso and Mali (turns out Timbuktu is in Mali, who knew?) which means I need to inoculate the bejeesus out of myself with shots for yellow fever, meningitis, typhoid, hepatitis and on and on. Should be a blast. Let me know if you have a particular hankering for a postcard from anywhere.

Other great things include finding my favorite scarf and $1400 I forgot I had. Not sure which I'm more excited about.

I am hopeful today will land firmly on the "best of times" side. (which means, if you have any bad news for me, prob better to wait until tomorrow). Sad fight is over, going out for a long run in a bit, then fun drinking with some new friends later.

So that's my self-centered update. Comment away;)

1 comment:

Dan Stafford said...

Well, as a fella who's about to spend 8 hours traveling, through OMAHA nonetheless, I have to say I'm more than a little jealous of your day today.

Hope the weekend ends up on the good list too, Bergemann!