Sunday, September 16, 2007

Dear Denver,
I'm not sure how to say this, but I think it might be best for us to have an open relationship for a while. I still love you and I think we have a great future together; no other city has dive bars like you do (I still have my first chip from the Park Tavern), I'll always remember my first trip on the 16th street mall shuttle and getting snowed in twice in one winter (hooray hot chocolate and snowmen in the park!). You're a beautiful and amazing city Denver, and I haven't even started talking about your people yet (definitely one of your best assets).

But (and I think it's better that you hear this from me), I've met another city. New York. I never expected this to happen. Like I said, there's no city like you, Denver. But New York, with its street fairs and block parties and concerts and literary festivals and all night transportation, well, to be honest it's pretty sexy and it's confusing me a little. And it's all happening so fast. It's probably just that it's so new and exciting, and eventually I'll realize what a terrible mistake I'm making. But for now, would it be okay if we took a little break?

This will be good for us I think, it will help us grow and appreciate each other more. And, well, I know Boulder's been looking cute lately and has always had a thing for you Denver, maybe you should spread your wild oats a bit too?

Don't take this the wrong way, you're still the number one city in my book, and I hope you won't mind if I still come visit. Let's just try this new thing out for awhile and see how it goes.

Big Hug!
Crystal

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I can't say I'm not a little bit hurt. I mean, sure, New York is great, but it's New York.

It's like finding out your lover has left you for, say, Brad Pitt. I mean, sure, in theory, but actually leaving you for Brad Pitt?

Yes, I admit, my public transit does not live up to the subways of New York. And, while I've only got a few little 'art walks' you've got SoHo and Greenwich Village.

But Crystal, it's just so OBVIOUS to fall for New York. I can't blame you, but I can't deny that I'm, well, disappointed.

I always thought of myself as the interesting guy at the party who's awkward and shy, and maybe has a weird but not freaky scar.

Still waters run deep Crystal - and we both know the waters of the East River just run with pollution.

But, ok, if this is how you want to do it, I'll respect it, hell, how long have we known each other? I just hope you'll be happy. That's all I've ever wanted.

xoxo
Denver

will said...

jesus christ i'm realizing i'm only like half a synapse of a hivemind. going off to wrap my head in tinfoil to try to keep one thought to myself.

Wes said...

I really wanted to be the person who commented as "Denver".

Oh well...

Unknown said...

Denver, WTF? You're stronger than this. Better, truer.

I mean, hey, I know Crystal is terribly special, but you've got a metro area of 2.4 million.

Just throwing this out there, but maybe instead of posting comments on blogs, what if you bought a snow plow, just in case it snows again this year. In the Rockies.

Or, what about spending a little time on the Rockies? Only a couple games out from a wild card slot.

Also, there's this homeless lady who keeps bumming change on the corner of Marion and 13th. How bought you get her into a house.

Look, Crystal, I'm not trying to talk shit against you - trust me, I know Denver misses you and you'll always have a special place in Denver's heart.

But Denver's got shit to do to.

ps - excellent post