Monday, September 3, 2007

So, despite all your helpful suggestions I was up between 2 and 5 last night with some wild thoughts. The thing about spending two whole days with a friend you can really talk to is that all the thoughts and ideas that have been stuck in your brain, dormant, get knocked about and start moving around and begging to be let out. So anyway, expect some changes I guess, hopefully at least some of these thoughts will materialize into action.

In other news, today marks the end of what I can honestly say is the craziest summer I have ever had. I started in Colorado on Memorial Day, ended in DC on Labor Day, and fell asleep in Arizona, California, Nevada, Nebraska, Illinois, Michigan, Massachusetts, and New York in between (I'm like that scene in fight club where Ed Norton keeps waking up in different cities).

May-Boston, Santa Barbara, New York, Denver. Tried some more to say goodbye to a friend I lost a year ago. Realized that sometimes you need to take care of your parents and not the other way around. Found an apartment in NY. Started to fall in love with the wrong city.

June-Santa Barbara, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver. Reunited with an old friend, united with some new friends, realized sometimes you can't take care of your parents. Road Trip! Water Slides!! Sweet presents in the mail. Crazy stressful work meetings. Minor breakdown in Santa Barbara.

July-Santa Barbara, Denver, VEGAS!, Utah. Where to begin? Road Trip! Craps table at the Riv. More Road Trip! Fully in love with the wrong city. So much more but July in my brain is like looking at the sun too long, it's more of a bright blind spot than something I can possibly describe. Let's move on to August:)

August-Omaha, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Boston, DC. Holy shit August, you gave July a run for its money. Road Trip! Added Illinois to my list of states with ridiculous memories. Opened beer with a knife in Omaha, saw my friends get married and changed my definitions of love and marriage 5 or 6 times. Road Trip! Moved to New York during the first Brooklyn tornado in 150 years. Boston. Blacked out and was mean to my friends. School supplies. DC.

So there's a short list. Cheers to you all who helped make it also one of the most fun summers in memory, aside from just being crazy. Someone needs to start getting a plan together for 2008.

7 comments:

Emily said...

this comment is titled, "speaking of lifetime tv"...

the big moments in life are sharp turns... so hard to see clearly while they are happening.

when i think about your recent life, and mine ... it seems something irreversible and gracefully complex is at work. and when we're old ladies, giggling over tom collinses and sorbet and shit, i bet i'll remember what this summer was to you. and i'll remember how i felt, too. and, y'know, then we will happily cry into our drinks.

Unknown said...

2007 was too crazy. I'm tired. I think I'm just going to nap for most of 2008. But 2009 - man! Don't sleep on 2009, it's gonna be huge.

Werd said...

Also:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/lists/29JenniferGorman.html

Dan Stafford said...

Well see if this one works or not....

First of all, once it's written down, it's pretty unbelievable you survived this summer. You're likely the only person in your grad program who's thinking, 'at last, a BREAK!'.

I do sincerely hope however that we see fewer blog posts from you at 5:21 AM - that you settle into a routine that is as exciting and engaging as your many travels (mebbe just one month without a roadtrip?), but which allows you to fall in love with that fantastic city you now live in.

Which we all know you will. I know it's a little cheesy to talk about NY as the best city on earth, but holy shit have you got a lot of great stuff in store for you. And, unlike SB, you've got enough people to have a dinner party.

:)

Wes said...

Hopefully it's not too much of a stretch to assume I live in the "wrong city." Assuming that's true: Denver is your sketchy loner guy that you can't bring home to mom. Awesome.

If it's not true: Awkward.

Summer '08 will be pretty huge, even though I may be in a different city. If I am, will you guys roadtrip out to see me? I know I totally bailed on the Vegas trip this summer, but it would still be fun.

And maybe I'll still be in the wrong city, who knows.

Werd said...

There's the snarky Crystal we all know and love. I was getting worried, but then you come roaring back with a comment like that. Love it.

will said...

I really hope that on your first day of grad school they would make you present something along the lines of "how i spent my summer vacation" and you just walk up to the blackboard/whiteboard and write out the URL to to this blog post.

can you tell i've never been to grad school? i'm really good at hiding it.