Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Sorry for not getting my shit together and posting more often. Drew's right, it's a lot of pressure.

Last weekend I rode the Flavors of Fall wave, which was so goddamn fun I literally suffered from withdrawal for a couple of days. There's something about getting 15 great friends together to eat and drink amazing amounts of food and wine and beer and whiskey that reminds you how much better it is than Thanksgiving with ones actual family. (and we're already planning Volume 3, the Illinois edition)

Sorry if this post is about to devolve into some trite "gosh we're all growing up" reflection, but we are, and it's pretty awesome actually. In college DF cut his face open trying to jump over a stop sign and CB (not me) was nearly expelled from the dorms for setting the bathroom on fire. Now we are a lawyer, a writer, an architect, a husband, a designer, a former accountant who just quit to open a nightclub. Some of us are still students and many of us are still artists, and I don't think we've lost much of the spark yet. But now we're also people who rent tables and chairs and buy tupperware and make cupcakes that look like turkeys (though to be fair that was brett's sister who did that).

Over the weekend I spent a lot of time thinking about how lucky we were to have each other like this (And how lucky I am in particular. I elbowed my way into these kids senior year when they had all been friends since the dorms and it may have been one of the best things I've done).

8000 calories later I crashed pretty hard. A friend warned me that the new york blues hits everyone after a few months. There are so many people and there's so much to do all the time, so feeling lonely can be so much more isolating and confusing than anywhere else.

But, I'm snapping out of it and wouldn't give up the weekend for the world. And here comes the cheesy part where I thank you all and say happy thanksgiving. :)

3 comments:

Dan Stafford said...

Sounds like so much fun, and as someone still doing more or less what he was at the age of 20, I'm just a couple shades to the left of jealous.

As for the NY blues, I used to get that in SF (largest city I've lived in). Always felt like there was all this stuff happening NEAR me, but not exactly WITH me, and I'd feel a bit like a stranger. Weirdly, after living there for 5+ years, and moving, I found myself missing it very little.

And happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Emily said...

i love the shit out of trite growing up reflections.

it was really, really great.

Unknown said...

I agree with Emily....

I also remember somebody saying something about next time being the Arizona edition. I mean, there was fun partial reunion-time in Illinois less than 6 months ago. I say we take this shit back to where it all began.